Wednesday, January 26, 2011

2010 MISSES: "THE AMERICAN"

If I had seen this movie before the year end I probably would have included it in my top 10, or at least in my honorable mentions. "The American" is a great film. Yes it is slow, but it has excellent acting, directing, and all of the above that makes a movie great. The slow style, in my opinion, works to it's benefit. You understand the atmosphere, the characters, the situations better because of it. For a movie called "The American", I don't think the mass American audiences can get down with this film. Not just because it takes place in Italy, but the film style has a very European vibe. Clooney has a very subdued performance and besides brief moments of action and nudity, this film doesn't really embody the spy thriller we are accustomed to. The obvious comparison here is "Le Samourai" with a hint of Japanese thriller, and while I wouldn't say it is as good as the classics I am comparing it to, it is definitely worth your time and one of the better modern spy thriller genre pictures.

*3 and 1/2 Lance Approvals*

No comments:

Post a Comment