Sunday, April 4, 2010

"ALL THE REAL GIRLS"

As a blog that mostly covers horror, schlock, low budget disasters, and 80's trash, I like to throw an independent drama in there once in awhile. Let me get this straight first, I am not some ironic sweater wearing indie loving guy, and for the most part that is who will enjoy this film. But, I have to say that "All The Real Girls" offers a lot more than just your typical recent hollywood indie flick. Besides the cast and great acting work, there is a lot of beautiful scenery and interesting thoughts that are brought up. "All The Real Girls" is basically about a small southern town where one guy hangs out with his friends and takes advantage of all the girls in town. His best friend's sister comes back home and suddenly our womanizer has fallen for her and no longer has the will to be the town scumbag. The relationship creates a rift between his friends and raises other issues when it comes to romantic relationships.

As I say with many of my basic overviews of the films, I must say the film offers a lot more than just the few lines I used to describe it. Honestly though, it is a very slow film, probably too slow for some and probably too poetic as well. It doesn't follow your basic film structure and for that I applaud it. The only thing that gets on my nerves are the typical stereotypes that come with a movie of this type: THE QUIRKINESS. For the most part, when this film is serious and real is where it shines. The random "cute" statements and nonsensical jibber jabber could really be axed and ultimately exclude itself entirely from a genre it is so much above. For more casual going movie goers, you will be surprised to know that this is an early film by the director David Gordon Green. If that name doesn't sound familiar, well I can assure you that you are definitely familiar with his most recent big budget film "Pineapple Express". You may be able to tell some of the same directorial qualities in "All The Real Girls", but aside from Danny McBride playing another southern asshole, you won't find much in common between the two films. For me the film really comes together at the final moments. I won't give it away, but like many films I enjoy, it doesn't have your typical Hollywood happy ending. It is much more real.

*3 Lance Approvals*

No comments:

Post a Comment