Sunday, October 17, 2010

HORROR FAIL PART 1: SCARECROWS

It is almost Halloween, which means this blog has been around for a year. How that happened without me completely losing interest, I don't know. I've been watching a lot of horror lately, as I always do during this season. I was thinking of just doing your basic reviews of unknown horror movies you probably haven't seen and why I am recommending them. But I decided to do something different, probably because I've been extremely disappointed in some films I've been really excited about seeing or that I remember being a lot better when I was younger. I will be posting my Halloween film viewing guide as I did last year, so you will be getting the gems soon. But for now, let's take a look at some films I say you should avoid....

"Scarecrows" is one of those movies I've wanted to watch for years just based on the cover and premise. The VHS cover was even cooler looking than the DVD cover I posted above and it was somewhat hard to find at one point. When I was looking for it, I could never find it and when it was finally widely released on DVD there were times I considered buying it without viewing it. It just sounded so awesome. I've always been down with scarecrows, but was always let down by the films involving them. If there was one genuinely creepy scarecrow movie out there, I figured this was it.

Sadly, "Scarecrows" is not the film I've been waiting for. After it sitting on my queue for a couple months I finally bumped it up and was extremely excited to finally view one of the most hyped horror movies I hadn't seen in my mind. Even a lot of the reviews online were pretty decent. Once I started watching it was very apparent I was going to be let down. I'm all for the "bad" movie. It can still have certain elements to make it enjoyable, but the combination of bad acting, bad pacing, bad screenplay, and bad buildup really make this movie an EPIC FAIL. What you have hear is a story that really doesn't lead to much of a horror movie. It follows the guidelines more of a "Predator" or "Aliens" movie, but without the budget and fantastic film crew. You have some characters that are considered bad, stuck in a farm area, where Scarecrows are killing them off and you really don't know why. Some innocents are involved, and there are some cool deaths, but even those fall a little bit flat. The only thing going for this movie is it is somewhat unpredictable, but probably because it just doesn't make much sense.

"Scarecrows" had all the makings to be a decent B horror movie. It comes from the 80s, has some creepy looking Scarecrows, some dark atmosphere, and a cast of totally different characters to work with. What we end up getting is a C grade action movie rip off in the dark, with scarecrows that have no motives as the villains, when really the main characters are the villains. "Scarecrows" may have introduced the scarecrow sub-genre of horror movies, but it hardly is a film to set a standard.

*1 and 1/2 Lance Approvals*

No comments:

Post a Comment