Wednesday, December 29, 2010

2010 FAIL: "THE CRAZIES"

It really pains me that my favorite genre usually dominates these bad lists I do. It pains me even more than a Romero film has made it's way twice into this year's list. Although Romero was not as involved with this as he was "Survival of the Dead", it is still a remake of one of his cult classics. Let me start off by saying I am not some biased fan of the original that thinks it can't be beat. I haven't seen the movie in years and frankly, from what I remember, it won't lead me to giving it a second viewing. What I will say about "The Crazies" is that is follows the same cliches that all new horror movies, especially the remakes, use.

Sure there is better graphics. Sure there is some cool gore. But what is missing is something I discussed in an earlier horror/2010 fail (A Nightmare on Elm Street). There is no emotion. There is no character. There is nothing unique to separate it from it's peers. Some overall bad acting and predictability also helps it lead it's way onto this list instead of just simply being forgotten. Although the original may be low budget and hard to watch, it has originality and character. There is nothing unique about "The Crazies". All it is is another sad rip off of "28 Days Later" and all the other recent zombie/apocalypse movies out there. What confuses me even more about "The Crazies" was that it actually had some hype. People on the internet and friends weren't touting it as the best new horror film, but put it a big step above the recent garbage being produced. Critics went so far as to give it a semi-shitty review instead of just a flat out fuck off. I was intrigued, but now I'm just wondering what was wrong with these people? Maybe just the hope of anything better than what has been coming out? There is a serious problem with originality in the horror genre these days, and Hollywood will continue to pump out sub par remakes until someone comes along with something better. Here's to hoping "The Crazies" badness will help end this horrible trend.

*1 and 1/2 Lance Approvals*

No comments:

Post a Comment