Friday, December 31, 2010

TOP 10 OF 2010

Hands down the best movies of 2010. I'm going to keep this short and sweet because I'm sick.

10) "True Grit"
Anything the Coen brothers make is worth your time. "True Grit" is no exception. The old west feel is some of the best I've seen in recent film and there are a lot of good characters and actors to back the story up. This is definitely one of the best movies of 2010, it will range all over many top 10 lists, but I'm keeping it at #10 because I have unrealistic expectations of the Coen Brothers. As good as it is compared a million other movies in 2010, it could have been even better in my opinion.

9) "The Fighter"
"The Fighter" was as good as I thought it would be, but in a different way. I've been following the real Micky Ward for years now and his trilogy with Arturo Gatti are some of the best fights in combat history. Here we have a look at his up and coming years. Wahlberg is pretty good, but Bale steals the show as his crack addict brother. Once again Bale slims down and takes the spotlight with his off the wall characterization of a broken man. The family puts together some good performances and the boxing scenes are realistic.

8) "The Ghost Writer"
2010 started off slow, but "The Ghost Writer" pumped some much need life into the film industry during the early half of the year. While not Polanski's best work, he proves to still be a viable director. He makes films masterfully. He was able to take a subject I'm not particularly interested in and keep my attention the entire time. Great performances by McGregor and Brosnan as well.

7) "Winter's Bone"
One of the smallest films of the year is also one of the best. Also having the best atmosphere of the year really catapulted this slow film for me into the top 10. It has some slow moments, but it always redeems itself with the mood and sense of hopelessness. The surprise of this film is the star making performance by the young lead actress.

6) "Inception"
Everyone saw it. Everyone knows it. "Inception" is just a solid movie made by a master director and exceptional actors. The best "blockbuster" of the year and up there with recent blockbusters in the past few years.

5) "The Town"
I wasn't sure what to think about "The Town" going into the theater, but I'll tell you, I was along with it the entire time. Kind of a "Point Break" meets "The Departed", Ben Affleck does a not so surprising great job as a director, but definitely redeemed himself as an actor in this one. All the performances are good though. This is flat out an exciting movie.

4) "Shutter Island"
While people will agree this was a good movie, it didn't seem to get the fame and recognition it deserved. I actually heard from a lot of people they didn't really like it. I don't know why, but Scorcese put together a creepy mystery with some of the best setting and wonder in 2010 filmmaking. It may not be as good as "The Departed" or "Goodfellas", but what really is? Also this is the better performance of the big 2 by Leo this year in my opinion.

3) "The Social Network"
The surprise hit for me this year. I loved this movie. Every second of it. I knew Fincher was capable of making a good movie, but I wasn't compelled by the subject matter and the actors involved going in. I was wrong, this may be one of Fincher's best movies ever and is a solid top 3 movie of the year.

2) "Black Swan"
Lets get the cliches out of the way. This film is "haunting", "beautiful", and Natalie Portman is "mesmerizing". This movie is nuts and I haven't heard any negative feedback really. Throw in Vincent Cassel for some good old asshole male bravado, a crazy mom, and a slutty Mila Kunis and this film is hard to forget. DA does it again, not surprising in the least. This is the best American film of 2010.

1) "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo"
I thought I was going to hate this movie for more reasons than one, but I decided to give into the hype and rent it. I was absolutely blown away. Never have I seen a "crime/thriller/drama" movie be so original in recent years. The lead actress puts together an amazing performance. There is a lot of brutality and vile things going on in this movie, but just look past that, it is an excellent example of impeccable film making. I can't recommend this movie enough. The sequel is worth your time, but it doesn't measure up the magic of the first film. Just see it if you haven't.

No comments:

Post a Comment