Thursday, December 30, 2010

2010 FAIL: "THE IMAGINARIUM OF DOCTOR PARNASSUS"

I don't know what I expected going into this movie. I am a huge Terry Gilliam fan, but I wasn't that fond of his latest works. I knew this was the last picture Heath Ledger had part in before his untimely death, but knew that he didn't finish it which may cause some issues with the story. Luckily, his death and the addition of many other actors playing the role of his character wasn't an issue. Sadly, the rest of the film is an issue in the department of compelling film making.

Is "Imaginarium" original and visually stunning? Of course. But I expect that with any Terry Gilliam film. While it didn't WOW me in visual and storytelling aspects like "12 Monkeys" or "Brazil" it certainly held its own as one of the more interesting looking films of the year. Thats about where the positive feedback ends for me. I was extremely bored and uninterested with the character and stories. I'll usually stick through a bad movie, but I may have drifted off for a minute or two in this one. I understand the order and financing of the film was probably effected by the death of Ledger, and yes he is one of the better things about this film. But just because you know a movie had a problem, doesn't mean you should give it some slack. I wanted "Imaginarium" to succeed, but it just lacks the spark to ignite my imagination.

*2 Lance Approvals*

No comments:

Post a Comment