Thursday, January 21, 2010

"RAISING CAIN"

"Raising Cain" is a classic of my pre-teen years. I used to stay up late watching TNT in hopes of a decent B-movie being shown, and whether it be monster vision or just a typical midnight movie "Raising Cain" always came on air. I'm not even sure if I had ever watched it all the way through, but I knew once I began bargain digging for DVD/VHS, this would be at the top of my list. As soon as I bought this, I went home that night and popped it in.

The good news is Lithgow ("3rd Rock From The Sun") puts on a great performance. Honestly, I don't know who could have done a better job. The directing, while not perfect, is a good name for us B-movie nerds in Brian De Palma. I mostly remember him for "Scarface" and "Carrie" but you also may know his other gems such as "Carlito's Way", "Mission: Impossible", and "The Untouchables". Luckily for our sake, "Raising Cain" is not as known as these other films and falls under the category of De Palma's personal cult classic.

Like many other films, it isn't without its flaws. Some of the script and characters are pretty blah, but you walk away from this film feeling very satisfied. Horror geeks and regular movie goers can find something to appreciate in this Hitchcock-esque thriller, so don't question it, just watch it.


*3 Lance Approvals*

No comments:

Post a Comment