Wednesday, February 23, 2011

80's MONTH: "VALLEY GIRL"

Another formulaic plot with stupid characters, but damn it, why do I love this? Maybe it is just because I am biased towards the 80s, but it really wouldn't be done like this if it was made in 2011. Nick Cage is a punk rocker, Deborah Foreman is a rich valley girl. Somehow they fall in love, but friends and peer pressure break them apart. Can it work? I guess you'll have to watch to find out.

Yes it falls under the horny teen comedy romantic drama. It's been done 1000 times. And Nick Cage resembles a gay pirate more than a legit punk. But this is a gem only recognized by those who love the 80s. For one, the music is excellent. The pacing is a little strange, but I found myself interested in the odd timing. I wasn't really sure what was going to happen next or how long this scene would last, which is something very easy to figure out in a movie like this usually. Sure it rips off Romeo & Juliet for the 1000th time, but it has heart. Cage puts more effort into this than any of his recent movies. Check it out, especially if you don't completely remember it. It will make your life better. I promise.

*3 Lance Approvals*

No comments:

Post a Comment